Friday 10 January 2014

Studio Brief 3 - Design Process - (Page Layout) InDesign



It's Nice That - Printed Pages Winter Edition 

The combination of image and text used here is really interesting, I like how it spreads over the two pages crossing through the margins, this makes the pages feel less disjointed and gives a feel of unity particularly in the top image. There are two columns on the right hand side page of text, I feel there is quite a lot of text compared to the rest of the double page all in one area. On the lower double page spread I like the three column split that lays underneath the 1 column introduction, however I feel that the text should be of equal length in each column as it looks slightly unfinished. I would increase the gutter size slightly so the text frames were thinner and the text reached the same level in the third column as the first and second.



Blueprint - Architecture Nov - Dec Edition

I'm not particularly engaged by the use of colour on these two spreads, I think if it was just text on top of the yellow it would have worked much better as I feel the images don't contrast well as they contain too many colours. However I think the layout of columns on the left hand side pages are successful, even though they don't contain the same amount of text in each frame I think it works as they are all varied and not just the one. Small pieces of information broken up by space are much easier to intake and read rather than big chunks and so the text is more appealing to read. I find t a bit overwhelming on the top right hand side page that there is such a large section of information, it's too much at once and I think the use of columns might have made it a bit more aesthetically engaging. Alongside this I don't like the layout of the two images used, they feel disjointed and not considered compared to the rest of the design. I do think that the four columns at the bottom finish the page of with a sophisticated edge however, the small subheadings and thin lines to divide are neat and orderly.
As for the bottom right hand side page I really like the way the images are displayed, the constant of the space between them contrasts with the change in size throughout. 


Blueprint - Architecture Nov - Dec Edition

I like the regulation in this double page layout, how it is split into three makes it easy to navigate around the page and conveniently readable. I think the text frames in the top section and the text frames in the bottom section should have been the same width to continue this consistency but it's not a major inconvenience and doesn't stand out. I like the blue background along the top and the use of white text against it, it lightens it up and makes it seem more appealing and friendly. I don't like the blue layer over the images, I think it makes them seem boring and they seem to lose their importance in this piece as they merge into one. There is a lot of information at the bottom but I think it is much easier to read as it is split into six small section across. Using the two pages as one is something I think works really well, it allows the images and text more freedom to spread out.



Emigre 2 - The Magazine That Ignores Boundaries (1985) 

I decided to look at some layout examples from further back into graphic design to see if the principles had changed a lot or if the main guidelines from then were still followed now. One thing I think works really well on the top left hand side page is the use of white space, the text is positioned to the right leaving a wide area to be empty, this somehow makes it seem structured with a contrast of questionable reasoning. I don't think the thick black cross works as well as it could, the delicate white space seems too overpowered by the cross, it is too heavy and seems to be impeding on the space. I believe the image on the bottom left looks slightly disjointed, if it had been placed under the first column I think this would have been much more successful in terms of bringing the piece together. The top right hand side layout is not one that I would use personally, it seems a bit too simple and as though more thought could have been put into it. The block back backgrounds are too much for the delicate illustrations in the opposing two boxes, however the white text does work well and there is minimal, necessary text only. 
The lower double spread is much more fulfilled and informative, I like how the rule of thirds is apparent on the left hand side design, it is defined by the grey bar and title, giving two thirds to the large black and white image. I like how the image bleeds off the page, it draws the eyes to all areas instead of centrally focusing all the attention. There is a small piece of information to introduce the topic placed centrally and a small sub heading, aligned with a quirky feel slightly to the left. The right hand side is very heavy with information, it seems to overwhelm too much and put the reader off from indulging in the page if the introduction didn't grip them. 



MILK Design Magazine

If I were to compare these two double page spreads I personally prefer the bottom one for several reasons. Firstly I think the use of white space on both layouts is successful and makes the information feel like it can breathe rather than it all being cramped into one space it is able to spread out. As far as the images go I prefer the layout on the bottom as I feel it is more structured and ordered, it is methodical and runs horizontally like text would if we were reading it. The images on the top layout seem to be dotted around in an 'L' shape, admittedly the grid used is simple and effective but I feel that the text should directly relate. The text frames in the bottom image are directly below the image the information is referring to, whereas above the corresponding text and images are numbered almost like a catalogue. I think it makes it more unique that all the information is placed to the bottom right on the bottom design, it guides the reader to other areas of the page first in a new way they are not used to.


I found that web design was very similar to printed layout regarding using grids as a structure for text and image to keep it all ordered in a specific format. I firstly looked at a design related website; Creative Review however I was quite unimpressed with their homepage regarding the aesthetics. I think that the colour scheme used is dull and unimaginative, granted it is neutral and doesn't clash with any images used but it doesn't feel very creative. I don't think the toolbars are in the right places either they seemed to be squashed into the top right corner with unnecessary white space left on the top left. The transition from two columns to three columns isn't very smooth and looks uncomfortable, I think it should have been visually broken up to show the difference and change in grid.



The simplicity of Elm Wood Design Studios homepage is what I think makes this so successful, there is no small text and complicated links and directions. At first I didn't like the colour scheme but it grew on me as I navigated through the site, the dark navy acted as a good backdrop for the lighter text. I think that splitting the homepage into just two columns sets the initial impression of simplicity that is carried through as an ongoing theme, the logo is big and bold to create a vision and a short intro of key information is all that is necessary.


The clear setup of the Apple website is immediately obvious, it follows on with the theme of Apple in general and the sleekness and sophistication of their products. Colour is only used in context in relation to the products and a neutral grey tone colour panel is the basis of the design. The toolbar along the top is well positioned, easy to navigate and clearly displays the different pages available. Regarding the layout it is very simple and obvious, each different section is broken up by colour so nothing tends to merge into one, this makes it easier to see what is available.



No comments:

Post a Comment