Friday 17 January 2014

Studio Brief 2 - Design Process - Research



Song Dong - 'Waste Not'

Collecting information or objects is something that is widely done across the art industry and made into forms of art. Although this is slightly different to how I am collecting information it shows how a diverse range of items can be collected but still relate to the same theme. Song Dong, a Chinese artist has created this exhibition surrounding his mothers hoarding of thousands of different objects over the years. He categorises them into the same objects as displays them on stands made out of items she has also collected such as structural features of previous houses. He lays them out in almost a grid format of columns and rows of equal numbers, they are aesthetically pleasing to the audiences eye and show of range of items that are all brought together by the product. I like the methodical way that he collects, categorises and displays them all in a way that makes them much more interesting than just being all placed together.

Design Studies: Theory and Research in Graphic Design (Audrey Bennett)

Before beginning my research I looked to see what methods if research I could find that would be applicable to my sign language topic. This grid that I found in Audrey Bennett's book really helped me to break it down into specific categories. 'Survey, behavioural and participatory' were the three main categories that I looked at as I wanted to make my research range over several different ways of collection. I think behavioural would be quite interesting, to get a deaf person to write a small diary to record daily tasks would be useful.



No comments:

Post a Comment