Thursday 14 January 2016

End of Module Evaluation

End of Module Evaluation

Throughout this module many of my skills have been improved, researching is a key skill to have when preparing for dissertation and this was really something that I had to concentrate on this module. I found it much easier when categorising research if it was split into simple sections then sub-categorised further, this allowed me to evenly research and compile strong evidence for my written piece before I began writing. This also helped to improve my skills in writing as I was able to draw all the information from my research first before writing any content, rather than researching as I went along. Another skill I have improved is that of synthesising when it comes to making links between practical and written work. The in depth research I did lead to me being able to rely on this to create a strong essay off which I could produce work that was directly influenced by what I had learnt and understood.
                  In terms of methods and approaches to design I have taken more of a methodical way of approaching my work, I have let my dissertation inform my practical and used all the research done beforehand to allow something to develop naturally. I have found it much easier to work chronologically and find I am putting my results into practice more naturally.
                  Strengths in my work lay in how I communicate with the audience, this module I feel I have shown structure within all of my work that flows in a way that is understandable to those approaching my work with little understanding. I have learnt more to put myself in the position of the audience and imagine that I know nothing of the subject; this helped me to clearly understand the information that needed to be present in each of the practical responses. Improvement in confidence has enabled me to start producing work on a much larger scale, to create impact is important to me now and the use of large scale design is a good way I have found to do this. Layout has never been one of my strong points but in my large A1 pieces I find that it has improved to the point that I am able to differentiate between a range of layouts, grids and understand how these are beneficial to use within any further designs.
                  My weaknesses lay in sometimes in carelessness which can lead to pieces not being produced to the highest standard, being fairly clumsy this leads to mistakes that I can’t afford to make when close to deadlines as this puts extra pressure to overcome these problems, potentially pushing other key work that needs to be completed to the side. Although I have worked methodically and my practical synthesises well with my written content, I have a tendency to rush into ideas and start designing before considering any others, this sometimes leads to me changing my mind and veering into another style of design or producing a new piece of work, if these pieces are all finished to a high quality then this is acceptable but sometimes the quality of one can be compensated due to interest in a new design.

Five things I would do differently:
1.     Spend more out of term time focusing on my work.
2.     Clearly set out my practical goals before beginning them.
3.     Read through my dissertation several more times before submitting.
4.     Keep on top of blogging more.
5.     Take care with design work so as not to damage.




Attendance - 5
Punctuality - 5
Motivation - 4
Commitment - 4
Quantity of work - 4
Quality of work - 4
Contribution to the group - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment