Friday 1 January 2016

Lee Goater Contact

I have been in contact recently with a designer who's work I really like; Lee Goater. He held an exhibition in Leeds last summer that I attended called 'All The Way Around', it was an exhibition that had the key theme of circles.

 

Within his work I can pick up a lot of principles and so I wanted to ask him a few questions as to whether he thought about any of these principles or was aware of them. I emailed him and got a response within a few hours, we spoke a bit about what I was doing and I sent him over my questions.

This was his response:


Hey Jess, 

Hope you’re good. 

In response to you requisitions…

- How important would you say it is to include any of the principles within your work? 
Very
- Do you consciously consider any of these principles on a regular basis whilst designing?
Yes. Subconsciously in everything I do. 
- What type of design would you say you would recognise most of these principles within?
All good design - be it product, architecture, digital or graphic design will reference these principles. Personally they are always present in my work. Espcially logo, icon, layout design and illustration. 
- Do you think they can be applied to new media design such as website layouts/apps etc?
Yes. These principles help the user understand information and navigate through space and feel at ease. 

Understanding these principles then allows designers to do the opposite and deliberately make uncomfortable, tense and edgy solutions. 

Hope it’s useful. 

Best
Lx


This was really useful primary evidence for me to confirm that these principles are recognised within the field of graphic of the 21st century, and that to some designers they are certainly applicable within new media and are a strong and valid tool to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment